Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Half full/empty

The adage of a half full or half empty glass is only partially explored. Even though it begs an immediate answer. When someone questions my view on life using that metaphor.  I question why because I believe that the level of the glass is dependent upon the circumstances.  If a pitcher of water is setting next to the glass I consider it half full because I can continue filling it at will. If my life circumstances are such that I think I have an opportunity to change things and affect the outcome then I believe that my glass is half full. If I exercise my options and I am able to in a sense to continue filling my glass then I operate from that frame of reference of Half Full.

If there is no pitcher or water and the level of the water is at the mid point of the glass then I consider it to be half empty because I do not have a source of water to finish filling it up. If my life circumstances are such that I do not know that I have an opportunity to change things and affect the outcome then I believe that my glass is only half empty and I must take care of what is left.

Which brings me back to the notion of half-full or half-empty. Is it a state of mind or a state of being.  Is it mind over mater or mater over mind.  Throw caution to the wind or play it close to the vest. Enthusiasm or wisdom.

I think it is a conditioned thought that only seems spontaneous. It is more a statement about the current state of affairs than it is a measure of one's personality. However there seem to be examples of people in dire circumstances unwilling or even unable to succumb to the negative aspect of anything. The proverbial half-full mind set.  Which are you?  why?

No comments:

Post a Comment